I’m putting this web site up to record and share my (camping) travels in the US and Canada. It’s mostly a photo journal, but I’ve added some commentary along the way.
I started a particular type of holiday in 1991 on a trip to San Francisco. Some friends and I had a crazy idea that we would rent a car after the conference we were attending and take a loop through a variety of well known places. We did just that and, in a fashion that now seems so completely unprepared as to be completely ludicrous, we looped from San Francisco to Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, The Grand Canyon and ended up in Los Angeles for the flight back home.
This trip, although a disaster of preparation, was so much fun that it became the basis for all of my subsequent vacations (or travel missions). I quickly acquired camping equipment and set out on long road trips in 1992, 1993, 1995, 1997, 2001, 2013 and, most recently, 2017. There was a hiatus between 2001 and 2013 while my son was too young to travel on such a long road trip, but upon resuming in 2013 I realized that I still was passionate (and able!) to make these trips.
A small story about the banner image for the web site. This is a view of the Capitol Reef and Waterpocket Fold in Utah. The photo was taken in 2017 from a scenic lookout on Utah 12 on the top of Boulder Mountain. You can also see the Henry Mountains in the distant horizon. I’ve taken this picture every time I’ve been driving along Utah 12 — the first time more than 20 years ago. On that first occasion, Utah 12 was not a scenic route nor part of the Escalante Staircase National Monument. I had to stop and take a picture of this magnificent view from the side of a country road. Apparently, my sensibilities are shared with many folks — it’s positively crowded now!
Let’s see…. some bullets:
- I’m educated: B.Sc., M.Sc, and Ph.D. (Mathematics, Physics, Astronomy)
- I’ve worked at the UofT during the early days of the Internet — that was fun.
- I’ve worked in the IT world for 30+ years: employee, consultant, self-employed. I’m currently working for the TD Bank in the Operations division (key word ITOM).
- I’ve always enjoyed puttering with computers and computer software — and here I’m puttering with WordPress. I’m a sometime developer both professionally and for fun.
- Digital Cameras…. they just keep getting better and you can see the results here.